PDA

View Full Version : Coffee and Your Health

CₒffₑₑGₑₑₖ
13th November 2013, 00:14
Coffee has a long history of being blamed for many ills from the humorous "It will stunt your growth" to the not-so-humorous claim that it causes heart disease and cancer. But recent research indicates that coffee may not be so bad after all. So which is it good or bad? The best answer may be that for most people the health benefits outweigh the risks.

Recent studies have generally found no connection between coffee and an increased risk of cancer or heart disease. Why the apparent reversal in the thinking about coffee? Earlier studies didn't always take into account that known high-risk behaviors, such as smoking and physical inactivity, tended to be more common among heavy coffee drinkers at that time.

However, the research appears to bear out some risks. High consumption of unfiltered coffee is associated with mild elevations in cholesterol levels. And another study found that two or more cups of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease in people with a specific and fairly common genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body. So, how quickly you metabolize coffee may affect your health risk.

Newer studies have also shown that coffee may have benefits, such as protecting against Parkinson's disease, type 2 diabetes and liver cancer. And it has a high content of antioxidants. But this doesn't mean you should disregard the old maxim "Everything in moderation." Although coffee may not be very harmful, other beverages such as milk and juice contain nutrients that coffee does not. Also, keep in mind that coffee accompaniments such as cream and sugar add fat and calories to your diet. Finally, heavy caffeine use on the order of four to seven cups of coffee a day can cause problems such as restlessness, anxiety, irritability and sleeplessness, particularly in susceptible individuals.

mypressi_fanboy
22nd December 2013, 18:27
by: Dr Caroline Leaf

The mind is what the brain does, with the mind being our intellect, will and emotions (our soul realm). This is an interesting concept posing huge challenges and implications for our lives because what we do with our mind impacts our spirit and our body. We use our mind to pretty much do everything.

So…

It’s your intellect, emotions and the free will to choose that will determine whether you will forgive that person, follow that healthy organic eating plan, receive that healing, work on not worrying, get rid of that depression, control those anxious thoughts, strive to that intellectual level you are capable of, develop your passion, work on your self-esteem, be that great friend, husband, wife, father, mother, get that promotion, achieve financial freedom, be filled with peace, and on and on to get that seemingly elusive healthy, joyful lifestyle.

It’s through our intellect, emotions and free will that we will make the decision to detox our thought lives; detox our bodies and build up our spirits. All my research and work has this as a main pursuit in mind because I know spiritually and scientifically we are designed to succeed. All the facts and information I share with you through my blogs, books, seminars and posts on twitter and facebook have this goal in mind: to help you be your true-you.

Hence I search for the most up-to-date and scientific facts to help you in all the areas of body, mind and spirit, and I particularly loved the new research on coffee (because I love coffee!). There are a number of good sources for this research; in particular there is a great one that is reliable, interesting and easy to read: the Life Extension site and their magazine, volume 18 Jan 2012. Scientific studies are now showing that common fears about excess coffee consumption are invalid and higher intake means bigger benefits!

Coffee beans are extraordinary complex fruits that contain over 1000 phytochemicals, of which only a few have been investigated – a super antioxidant punch! It also has the power to help prevent most major killers including cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, liver disease and Alzheimer’s disease. An impressive number of case-controlled human studies, compared to coffee abstainers, showed that those who drank pure black organic coffee cut their risks of breast cancer by 57% and diabetes by 67%. However, there is a lot missing from commercial coffee beans so one has to be careful of what you drink!

So…far from being a risky habit, coffee-drinking (organic, freshly roasted and black!!!) has now been shown to provide powerful protection against an epidemic of diabetes and a rising tide of age-related diseases. Research has even shown coffee to help reduce DNA damage, which in turn inhibits cancer and aging. Scientists are beginning to discover that coffee’s phytochemistry exerts direct biological actions on the body, weaving a complex web of indirect protective effects, one of which is neuroprotective (helps prevent diseases of the brain and cognitive decline). Coffee also reduces inflammatory activity and improves metabolism.

And this is just a few of the benefits God was thinking of when He created coffee (caffeinated and decaffeinated) for us to enjoy! So clear you mind as you sip the delicious brew!

I also love organic tea, particularly Rooibos and Green Tea! They are just a few of the wonderful teas that provide phenomenal benefits, which I will discuss in depth in the near future.

We will get that mind right!